I received an email from two Italian Linux user : Alessio and Michele AKA Alexiobash and Tonberry, both very active in the Italian scene about Linux/Open Source , in this message they announced their new initiative: SSLDISTRO – SIMPLE SEARCH LINUX DISTRO.
Ssldistro is a project born to offer at Linux users a customized HomePage for their distros.
The various homepage were created in order for the user to make their own research using a single page, thereby speeding up the search process.
Currently you can search directly onGoogle, gmail, youtube, facebook, twitter, wikipedia and depending on distro you can search directly in the wiki and the official forum and, in some cases, you can also search for software packages.
Each user can set as default homepage on their browser, one of the personalized homepages present in the website, in this moment ssldistro.net supports 46 different distributions and they are increasing steadily, to use a custom page just precede the name of the distro to the website ssldistro.net to go directly to the custom page for that distribution.
An user who uses as operating system ArchLinux can set as his homepage:
Through this homepage, the user can perform the following searches:
- perform a classic search on google ; some users prefer the classic Google page (white) while others like a custom colored page with the colors of the distro. To satisfy both it is possible to install the plugin Stylish and customize the page with your own colors.
- search through the search form on their gmail’s inbox;
- search for images;
- search videos on youtube;
- search applications for Android devices;
- make translations directly from the search form (Italian to english);
- search for your friends on facebook directly;
- search for your friends on twitter;
- direct search on wikipedia;
- look directly into the official wiki based on its distribution;
- search on the official forums;
- And for some distro, you can search for packages directly.
- For some distribution, the pages of Linuxaria.com are used as guides
I find this as a good and innovative idea and i wish good luck to the authors, a central point of search for all the info about my distribution could conquest the homepage of my Browser, I’ll give it a try for sure.
- Linux Security: How to hide processes from other users
- Productivity boosting with open source applications
- 8 Simple To Follow Tips To Secure Your Apache Web Server
- The Humble “Open Source” Bundle
- Linux Games: FTL Advanced Edition expansion
Find me on Google+