Disclaimer: If you like fast paced action games, or games with a stunning graphics, move away.
Monster RPG 2 is a free/open source console style role playing game (perhaps most accurately, a JRPG) with a lot of depth and old-school character. It is available for iDevices (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad), Android, PC (Windows, Mac, Linux) and now Raspberry Pi.
Some of its main features are:
- Nineteen locations to discover and explore
- Nine adventurers to add to the party, develop and lead.
- Turn-based combat against over ninety monster types.
- Eighteen spells for Magic Users and Clerics to cast (not including spells cast by monsters!)
- Enough swords, guns, potions, helmets, badges, keys, staves and armor to keep any adventurer stocked for life.
The game has been “liberated” in November 2012, when the author raised 1500$ to release the code and distribute freely the game for all the platforms.