PDFtk or The PDF Toolkit is an open source cross-platform tool for manipulating PDF documents. pdftk is basically a front end to the iText library (compiled to Native code using GCJ), capable of splitting, merging, encrypting, decrypting, uncompressing, recompressing, and repairing PDFs.
If pdf is electronic paper, then pdftk is an electronic stapler-remover, hole-punch, binder, secret-decoder-ring, and x-ray-glasses.
pdftk is a simple tool for doing everyday things with pdf documents. keep one in the top drawer of your desktop and use it to:
- merge pdf documents
- split pdf pages into a new document
- decrypt input as necessary (password required)
- encrypt output as desired
- fill pdf forms with fdf data and/or flatten forms
- apply a background watermark
- report pdf on metrics, including metadata and bookmarks
- update pdf metadata
- attach files to pdf pages or the pdf document
- unpack pdf attachments
- burst a pdf document into single pages
- uncompress and re-compress page streams
- repair corrupted pdf (where possible)