Everyone loves the invasion of zombies, and everyone loves linux, and so what can be born from the union of these two elements?
5 great games of course !
The games that i’ll show to you in this article are: Atom zombie smasher, violetland, Ultimate Zombie Fighters, project zomboid and Zombpocalypse, have a good day with them !
In this game, in the classic style Zombie survival invasion you see a map of the city from the above and its population (indicated by a yellow dots), you have a first strategic phase where you can put on the map your “troops”. And then start the actual invasion, that is played in real time, where from some points (indicated on the map) begin to enter the Zombies (indicated by purple dots) which begin to “attack” the people turning them into zombies.
The goal of each level: to save a determined number of people, to do this you have a helicopter from the first level, you must decide its landing point and change it during the attack to rescue the more people you can while avoiding the zombies.
As the game progresses you gain more “mercenaries” you can strategically position them on the map, for example from the second level there is the artillery, which during the invasion can shoot to the zombies, going on in the game there are many other units, each with its special ability, up to the atomic bomb.
I found the game very well done, the graphic is not particularly elaborate, but does its job while it’s particularly well done the music and the setting in the 60’s style.
The game costs 15$ and from the site you can download a playable demo with the first 4 levels.
In this game the player should help a girl by name of Violet to struggle with hordes of monsters. For this purpose the various weapon, and also the special abilities of the heroine which are opening with experience can be used. In game there are elements of RPG in the form of strength-agility-vitality and derivatives. Also there is an unique feature: dynamic change of day and night.
- graphic is based on opengl
- dynamic change of day and night
- not disappearing corpses
- improves with experience сharacter
- firearms, hand grenades, teleports, bonuses
- languages: english, french, russian, galician, spain
- works on gnu/linux, freebds, windows, mac
The game is available in Debian and Ubuntu repository, so you can install it with just a
sudo aptitude install violetland
UZF is a cross-platform 2d zombie shooting game in which the aim is to survive as long as possible.
It is inspired from Nazi Zombie game mode from Call of Duty 5. The aim is to survive as long as possible. Zombies will try to break in through windows and try to get you. Kill them and repair the windows to stay alive.
Among those presented today is the game less interesting, but for his zombie scenario and his open source nature he deserve a place.
it must be downloaded and compiled from sources available on sourceforge.
This game has not yet been released, but from the screenshots and feature list it looks very promising, the base is an RPG where you must survive a Zombie invasion.
Planned features include.
– Play in your browser, on PC, Mac or Linux, or download the stand-alone game.
– Real-time day to night lighting, line of sight and sound systems. Use the darkness to avoid attracting zombie attention. Barricade your safe-house and venture out under the cover of darkness. But careful, because any sound you make could get unwanted attention from the horde.
– Crafting system. Loot and salvage household items, break into shops, hospitals and other locations to find what you need to survive, build defences, and keep yourself sane.
– Advanced survivor AI. Along the way you will meet other survivors, who you can join forces with, fight for resources, trade with and carry out randomly generated missions for. Trust and morale are important, the zombie apocalypse is hard to deal with. Survivors can seek comfort at the bottom of a bottle or by raiding a medicine cabinet, but before long may find themselves with more problems than the zombies outside, and a mentally unstable ally hiding himself away, sticking a shotgun in their mouth and pulling the trigger is going to make a lot of noise.
– Zombie Movie Sadist Director. Every zombie film aficionado knows that if the survivors seem to be getting too comfortable in their safe house, something is definitely about to go disastrously wrong for them.
– The world will be pre-generated, but the contents of the world, from the characters you meet, the quests you receive, to the items you find, will be different each time you play. The initial release will have the suburbs. Subsequent to that new areas, from the inner city, countryside, shopping malls, police stations, hospitals and countless others will ultimately form a massive play area to explore.
– Character progression. Plenty of skills, perks and traits can be picked up during the game. Learn how to treat injuries, fire a shotgun, build a wall, drop kick a zombie, or create explosives from household items.
– World-wide apocalypse story. Although the events of your game will be unique to you, there is a bigger story at play that changes the game as you progress. A few weeks after first infection the power stations fail and the city is plunged into darkness, refrigerators fail, and suddenly batteries, gas heaters and canned food become a prized commodity. Then the army ‘clean up crews’ start to sweep over the city, eliminating anything in their paths.
– Get infected. Infection is a real danger, even to the player. If the unthinkable happens, and your days are ticking down, how will you finally go out? In a heroic moment of self-sacrifice, or hiding your wounds and saying nothing? And once you finally do die, you can watch yourself re-animate and see what happens to those closest to you.
– Multiplayer – Team up with your friends and try to survive the apocalypse together.
The game will be available for PC, Linux and Mac and you can pre-order the game for £5/$8 here. The money goes directly to funding the game’s development
This is a game for Windows, released for free but it’s not open source, so why it’s in this article? Because it can easily be played on Linux through wine, and of course the theme of the game fits perfectly in this article.
Simply stated, Zombpocalyse is a no-frills action arcade shooter; reminiscent of the 8-bit era, but with next generation flare.
In the recent events of a world wide outbreak, a system has been put into effect by the nations around the world to eliminate the threat. You play as a civilian who has been selected to reduce the zombie population with the promise of cold hard cash. Your payout will be determined as you embark on a killing spree that is sure to satisfy the most rabid zombie-stomping fans. Use quick reflexes and advanced weaponry to tear through the swarms of undead, but think fast because these aren’t your average zombies.
Find me on Google+