setsid - run a program in a new session
The main difference i see from nohup is that you “lost” your standard output, but for some programs this could be normal or acceptable.
For example run a script called ~/src/compile.all on a remote machine:
logoff (or < ctrl > D)
it’s also possible to pass arguments with setsid command:
setsid /usr/bin/totem '/path/to/my/file.avi'
- The legacy of Mandrake Linux: Rosa Linux
- Linux Terminal: How to color the output in bash scripts
- Linux Terminal: Manage Processes with killall and kill
- Play your Music on Linux with Music Player Daemon
- How to measure memory usage in Linux
Find me on Google+