The current computers have faster CPUs and more RAM compared to those of 3 or 4 years ago. There is more ability to run a second operating system in parallel to your main operating system. But why do it?
- To have another operating system (Windows, Linux or other)
- For testing a new distribution
- To prepare an environment dedicated to a product. For example, I installed a virtual machine with apache + mysql + everything I need for running a local a copy of my WordPress site
The three products that I will install and analyze on my Ubuntu 10.04 machine are:
- VMware Player
- VirtualBox (OSE)
For each of them i will consider a score of 1 to 3 for:
- Ease of Installation
- Administrative Tools
- Features (license included).
- Virtual appliances available