I’m back into looking at the games side of Linux, and i must say that every time a take a look at it i find new interesting titles.
Today I’ll take a look at the generic genre of the “space game”.
Pioneer, Sun Blast and M.A.R.S
Pioneer is a space adventure game set in the milkyway galaxy at the turn of the 31st century.
The game is open-ended, and you are free to explore the millions of star systems in the game. You can land on planets, slingshot past gas giants, and burn yourself to a crisp flying between binary star systems.
When Pioneer is finished there will be many ways to make ends meet: piracy, smuggling, bounty-hunting, mining, doing missions for the various factions fighting for power, freedom or self-determination.
Pioneer has a sneaking resemblance to Frontier: Elite 2.
The game is released as Free software (GPL License) and on 10 of june 2011 has been released the Alpha 11, the game is not yet finished but seems very promising to me.
Two of the most feared enemy races joined forces to launch the ultimate attack, known as “Sun Blast”. Your mission is to seek and destroy all enemy starships, which are the main threat. Prepare for combat!
- Fast-paced arcade space shooter
- Mesmerizing 3D graphics
- Top-quality music and sound effects
- Three main ships to choose from, each with unique look and behavior
- Lots of enemy spaceships to destroy
- Gigantic starships with powerful weapons, ready to blow up anything that moves
- Memorable battlefields, ranging from planet orbits to underground tunnels and infested military bases
- Multiple challenges with unlimited play time and medal award system
- Clean power-up system for weapon upgrades and shield
- Hall of fame, the place to be for best pilots
- Compatible with the Wii Remote
The game cost $ 9.95 and by purchasing the game you will receive a Serial Number which you will use to download and unlock the Full Version of Sun Blast for all supported operating systems (Windows, Mac and Linux).
M.A.R.S.: a ridiculous shooter is a space shoot ‘em up with a unique colourful visual style. It has single and multiplayer support, many weapons and 4 game modes.
- awesome 2D-graphics with an unique style and shader support
- a stunning amount of particles
- single- and multiplayer-support
- artificial intelligence using an aggro-system, which reacts differently upon varying situations and uses inter-bot communication via jobs
- many impressive weapons and specials
- customizable ships
- support for many different languages
The game is released as Free software (GPL License)
- In this SteamOS era where do the Linux gaming stand?
- Introduction to gnome maps
- How to manage processes with cgroup on Systemd