After the upgrade to 10.2 i’ve ran in a know Flash bug and now i can see youtube only in black and white, i’ve searched the net a bit and i’ve found that’s a common problem. The cause seems to be a combination of Flash 10.2, a recent YouTube change and the users graphics cards and seems to be browser-independent (can occur in Firefox 3.x, Firefox 4 beta as well as Chrome / Chromium).
If you have this bug too on webupd8.org there is an article with several fixes to the bug.
Personally i’m a bit tired of all these flash issue, and while waiting for html 5, i’ve took a look around to try some alternatives and in particular for youtube I’ve found minitube.
Minitube is a native YouTube client for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. With it you can watch YouTube videos in a new way: you type a keyword, Minitube gives you an endless video stream. Minitube does not require the Flash Player.
- Light on your computer.By consuming less CPU, Minitube preserves battery life and keeps your laptop cool. That’s because Minitube does not use the Flash Player.
- High Definition.Minitube plays HD videos up to 1080p. Go fullscreen and watch them play fluidly.
- 1-Click DownloadsDownload your favorite clips to your computer and put them on your portable device. Downloaded files are in MPEG4 format which is compatible with most devices, including Apple ones.
- Stop fiddling.Just search for something. Minitube automatically plays videos one after another. Sit back and enjoy.
- YouTube channels support.Being able to watch YouTube channel in Minitube brings a whole new depth to the application.
On my Ubuntu i’ve found minitube 1.2 ready on the repository..but this release is not good anymore, youtube did some changes and so with older versions of minitube is not possible to see anything, so we need the last version: 1.4
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8 sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install minitube
It’s also available on the project’s page a binary package for Linux and the release for Mac.
Interested in the Project ?
The author is testing Transifex, a collaborative translation system. If you’re interested in helping translating Minitube, head over to Minitube’s project page.
- The legacy of Mandrake Linux: Rosa Linux
- Linux Terminal: How to color the output in bash scripts
- Linux Terminal: Manage Processes with killall and kill
- Play your Music on Linux with Music Player Daemon
- How to measure memory usage in Linux
Find me on Google+