Disclaimer: If you like fast paced action games, or games with a stunning graphics, move away.
Monster RPG 2 is a free/open source console style role playing game (perhaps most accurately, a JRPG) with a lot of depth and old-school character. It is available for iDevices (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad), Android, PC (Windows, Mac, Linux) and now Raspberry Pi.
Some of its main features are:
- Nineteen locations to discover and explore
- Nine adventurers to add to the party, develop and lead.
- Turn-based combat against over ninety monster types.
- Eighteen spells for Magic Users and Clerics to cast (not including spells cast by monsters!)
- Enough swords, guns, potions, helmets, badges, keys, staves and armor to keep any adventurer stocked for life.
The game has been “liberated” in November 2012, when the author raised 1500$ to release the code and distribute freely the game for all the platforms.
Monster RPG 2 is a classic game of search with a fantasy background that makes you discover the continents and worlds created for this game and lets you take a simple character with no special skills and develop it into a hero with the power to save his world.
Monster RPG 2 is a turn-based role-playing game with enough variety, plot twists, secrets, and scenery that will make you go back to replay it several times even after a long time. If you loved the classic 16-bit games on older consoles such the SNES, you’ll love this game.
The graphics are definitely old-fashioned, as you can see from the video, but the story is good and also the character development is quite interesting, so I think that it might be a nice alternative to spend a few hours of fun in the old way.
It’s possible to download the game directly from the official website as linux binary for 32 and 64 bit architecture, or you can download it via Desura
Graphics: The sprites are nice and remind the first Final Fantasy games such as FF4 or FF5. The battle backgrounds blend well with the battle sprites and is well done.
Sound: The sound and music are a key of any RPG to set the proper mood or introduce a new scenario, the team made a good work on this side.
Gamplay: The gameplay is what you could expect from this game, the development of the characters is one of the things you’ll probably like, as you can choose how to growth your characters.
Overall: If you have seen the video and you have thought “this game could be nice” than probably you’ll love this small game, as wrote above stay away if you search for stunning graphics.
- How Configure an Android Development Environment on Linux
- arkOS: build your Cloud with a Raspberry Pi
- How to put in pause any process in Linux
- Linux Games: Faster Than Light
- Review and repair a Linux SWAP Partition
Find me on Google+