Credit cards, SIM cards, social networking sites and forums are just some of the many services that can give us trouble. That’s right … Each of these, now, requires passwords and codes that you must keep secrets. I can not remember everything for sure! The only solutions are the ones that we all know. Use a general password? too risky! An intuitive and memorable password? Unfortunately also too risky! Also writing them all in some paper is not a good idea … In fact, in addition to being found by others it could even be missed by us! So … what a beautiful mess!
If you too have these problems I have a solution for you! I’m talking about a software that keeps all your passwords. Not a simple database program, but a real key manager that you can crypt at very high levels and at the same time, very easy to use. I’m talking about KeePass. An amazing cross-platform software ! This characteristic makes it one of the best around! This software, in fact, can be really used on any electronic device ! In your office you have a terrible Win98 or Seven, or any other Microsoft product ? No problem … you can install it through the usual .exe files ! But you can use it also on Linux, just install from your package manager, “KeePassX“, “KeeDroid” in your Android, or other versions available for your Mac, Ipad, Iphone, Ipod, Symbian and even in other devices …
It seems incredible but that’s it! You can have your passwords wherever you want. With the right precautions to keep updated on all devices your password archive! The best solution to achieve this ?
These are some solutions that you can use:
1) If you have a smartphone, save the file onit. And open it from any PC or laptop simply by connecting the device and running the software from your PC!
2) IMO the best solution is to keep the archive on the clouds, with a good password of course, and choose a service that encrypt the files such as Spideroak.
The practicality of this software is one of the key features that make it a leader in this field. But also many other interesting features. First it’s Open source, very intuitive, thanks to the interface translated into many languages and a very simple, very complete, lightweight and, above all, safe structure. Even in the security of its components is king! To access your password you have two choices. A simple “keyphrase” or you can combine this with a file. In short, you must either set a password or give to the software the path of a file that will allow the opening of the archive.
Other features of KeePassX include:
Extensive management- title for each entry for its better identification
- possibility to determine different expiration dates
- insertion of attachments
- user-defined symbols for groups and entries
- fast entry dublication
- sorting entries in groups
- search either in specific groups or in complete database
- access to the KeePassX database is granted either with a password, a key-file (e.g. a CD or a memory-stick) or even both.
Automatic generation of secure passwords
- extremly customizable password generator for fast and easy creation of secure passwords
- quality indicator for chosen passwords
- hiding all passwords behind asterisks
Encryption- either the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) or the Twofish algorithm are used
- encryption of the database in 256 bit sized increments
Import and export of entries
- import from PwManager (*.pwm) and KWallet (*.xml) files- export as textfile (*.txt)
Operating system independent
- KeePassX is cross platform, so are the databases, as well
Well, you’ve got a software that will allow and will guarantee the absolute safety for the management of the passwords. Now you just need to head to the official page, or store or access your repository and start the download!
And please … when you open the file make sure not to be under prying eyes! All in all … yes … is tested against hacking or bruteforce … but not from the nosy!
- Natron an open source compositing software for linux.
- Yum and repository tools by examples
- Linux Games: Natural Selection 2
Find me on Google+